Car buying can be confusing and buying an Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) can be even more confusing. D$W wants to make it a little easier for you to understand.
These are some questions you need to ask to determine which AFV is best for you;
- How many miles do you drive per year?
- How many miles are on your typical work commute?
- What % of your driving is city vs highway and work vs pleasure?
- Do you need your car for special needs like towing, off road etc.?
An AFV should match what your answers are to these questions. In general, any AFV will offer great mileage and require less maintenance than a gas car. AFV’s will offer great dependability and the main lithium ion battery pack of any hybrid/electric car should last for the life of the vehicle based on almost 20 years of reliability.
An HEV combines electric and gas with great mileage from 40-60 mpg but little electric range. Can have single-tank range of up to 750 miles and the car decides when to use gas or electricity. Very dependable with less maintenance than a traditional car.
- Great mileage with no extra steps to operate, smoother power than gas only.
- Drivers with very short commutes may not realize benefits as fully.
A PHEV, is a hybrid car that has electric only range of 20-55 miles with a total driving range of up to 700 miles. When electric range is depleted, seamlessly converts to hybrid mode. Benefits are great for shorter commutes potentially eliminating most gas usage while still handling long road trips. Charge time ranges from 4-7 hours from a household outlet (faster charging options available). Can achieve 135 MPGe vs a hybrid car
- Great for shorter commutes and long distance driving. Tax Credit Available
- No range anxiety due to gasoline backup and low maintenance like a hybrid
A BEV, runs solely on electricity, no engine backup. Total driving range can be from 85-335 miles and can be charged by high-voltage cable in 2-6 hours.
- Environmentally friendly with least routine maintenance. Tax Credit Available.
- Requires some planning for longer trips and knowledge of charging stations (via App)
D$W has over 850 members and our D$W Meets are a great way to talk to real-life owners since most dealers will not know as much about them as our members.
D$W offers free membership and is your source for EV info, free test drives and we can teach you how to achieve up to 10 to 30 % better range in your current EV/PHEV vehicle.